Fragmentation

Discuss the many concepts and theories that exist in the world of Shotokan Karate

Moderator: EmmaRobins

Re: Fragmentation

Postby kensei » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Tom O'Brien wrote:I have never been a member of any large organization. I have always been a rebel of sorts. Always experimenting. I don't recommend it for everyone. When I was young (back when the air was clean & *ex was dirty) I thought that the best fighter would win. Came to find out that politics often dictates who that 'best fighter' was. One of the benefits of being cavelier is the fact that you know, beforehand, that you will not get the close calls. You have to be much better than your opponent in order to win. This fact, in & of itself, forces you to train harder. When you do excel you know it was not given to you on a silver platter.

Thanks,
Tom

That is fine in tournaments, but in general training, especially for those of us who are shaking hands with middle age and family life, its about the training.

In the situation I am in now, I have a great instructor and a senior who is pretty darn good as well at teaching, but being in a situation were I have a club and then their are three other clubs in our umbrella, it is hard to find a good class to go to where you are not the guy teaching.

In an organization like the one we are trying to get back into, they have a good cheif instructor who can come out from time to time to offer up a good class and seminar, they have a spring and summer camp, they have the ability to bring in good instructors from the JKA and we might even get them to stop over on the way to the main club in Ottawa. it means we also have options for our younger athletes who are interested in competeing and moving on in Karate.

As an independent instructor the options seem limited to "I teach you listen" and that is about it. In an organization, small...medium or large...you have the options of "I teach, he teaches, he teaches, or we bring in him to teach or her or him or him, or whom is available...oh, look they are sending him around....You listen".

Nothing wrong with a smaller organization or even being an open minded open door club....if you have people who can keep their ADD in check and stick with one instructor, compete in "open tournaments" (hate them) and are not looking to be part of "a bigger thing". I have seen so many who left organizations in canada Look for others. It is simply different up here than it is in Europe and even the USA were the poplulation is larger and packed closer together. Training options are limited!

James
James. J
Even monkeys fall from trees
kensei

Postby fujicolt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 pm

James - don't lose heart things evolves and finally - here in the UK - you will see more and more Association events being advertised as being 'OPEN TO ALL' which is great.

Also - in a few days time we shall be hosting the 2nd Shotokan Karate Friendship Camp - i am pleased to inform you we have male and female, 16 to 348 (that would be me!), 8th Kyu to very longterm served and experienced Dan Grades of various ranks from various areas of the UK and various Associations all coming with one aim - to train together and make new friends - 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Don't lose hope!
fujicolt

Postby kensei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 pm

fujicolt wrote:James - don't lose heart things evolves and finally - here in the UK - you will see more and more Association events being advertised as being 'OPEN TO ALL' which is great.
Don't lose hope!

I never lose hope, I simply tire of the grind of politics in Karate. I often think that it is much better to be a little fish in a big ocean than it is to be a big fish in a small pond.
I can not wait until we are back in the local JKA and I can just train!
James. J
kensei

Postby Tom O'Brien » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:15 am

Good points James. We are loosely associated with an organization of about 10 schools. We do have access to some of the benefits you pointed out. I agree with the remark about 'open tournaments'. We compete, for the most part, in AAU competitions. We also have some guys interested in the 'Ring of Combat', MMA events, run by Lou Neglia here in the northeast.

Thanks,
Tom
Don't say woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Tom O'Brien

Postby kensei » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Tom O'Brien wrote:Good points James. We are loosely associated with an organization of about 10 schools. We do have access to some of the benefits you pointed out. I agree with the remark about 'open tournaments'. We compete, for the most part, in AAU competitions. We also have some guys interested in the 'Ring of Combat', MMA events, run by Lou Neglia here in the northeast.

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom,
I am just so sick of politics and organizations run by jack ass's at this point that I am holding onto a towel and ready to throw it in! More road blocks and why? So some schmuck can prove he has more power or his oppinion is more important that evenhis cheif instructors. I thought Karate was about the training.....
James. J
kensei

Postby fujicolt » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:28 pm

James - i am genuinely horrified that it still goes on - it made me step away from allegiance a long time ago - but there is hope.
as you know we are running a Shotokan Karate Friendship Camp here soon. By design kept small ( tis not about money) and i can tell you we have various nationalities and people from various areas of the UK - aged 16 to 68, 8th KYU to 6th Dan male and female booked in to take part - from various organizations _ Cannot Wait! which is nice!
fujicolt

Postby Tom O'Brien » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:58 am

OMG - you should see. what the AAU puts you through to be an official at their national event. The chair from my district told me not to bother trying to help officiate. He is taking a whole week of vacation. You have to pass a special test - over the course of a full day, both written & performed, pay $150 to get a 'passport' & take abuse like you would in boot camp, just to try to help do some judging. He told me that if he wasn't the chair he would never do it. Me I'm just going to compete. I can't take a whole week off.

Thanks,
Tom
Don't say woulda, coulda, shoulda.
Tom O'Brien

Postby SWM » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 am

Regards to all.

I have enjoyed reading the following discussion and felt compelled to give my personal opinion. On occasion I have read through the various topics on this forum but typically I only post replies on technical issues that are of interest. I know James personally and most of the people that he leaves nameless, but I fear that there are many more like them in regions throughout the Karate world. I have dealt with political issues myself as James well knows throughout my 25 years of Karate, so the following is merely my viewpoint.

Without getting into to much detail, about 6 years ago I made a personal decision to leave a large organization here in Manitoba. It was decision based on where I wanted my Karate to go in the future. Of course there was political unrest in this large organization as was the norm for years. Ego's, money, political standing, and examination rights were common points of contention among the "leaders" of this organization. Besides these issues I felt the manners were not being made a priority, and in many cases totally disregarded by those most senior. Also many technical points were slowly being eroded and on the verge of becoming extinct. So for myself it was not only political, but technical as well that prompted my decision to leave.

At that time I wanted only to return to Shoshin ( beginners mind). I accepted my current future and thought I would never belong to another organization. In my mind no one could take away my love, knowledge or ability to do Karate. Although I had been running a Dojo for 12 years at that point (2004), I stopped accepting any money for teaching Karate. The same fee was charged to the students and went to the promotion and running of the Dojo. This has not changed to this day. This gives me the freedom of teaching Karate the way I want with nothing to cloud my thinking.

In 2005 I first met Sensei John Mullin (Executuive Chairman of the WTKO) at a seminar in Calgary. It may be of some interest that this was the first time I had ever taken instruction from any instructor outside of the international organization to which I had belonged. This was the beginning of a wondeful relationship with the WTKO. I invited Sensei Mullin to my Dojo the following year and he accepted. Although at that time I did not belong to the WTKO or made no indication that I would join. I also liked that Sensei was a full time school teacher not making his living teaching Karate, his love of Karate seemed very real and genuine. In 2006 after a year speaking to Sensei Mullin and learning what the WTKO was founded upon I decided to join, and this was the best decision I could have made for myself and Dojo. Since then I have trained in New York several times at the WTKO Honbu, and also hosted Sensei's Mullin, Amos, and Maeda to my Dojo. In my opinion the WTKO is host to some of the most gifted Karate-ka I have seen, all with a real desire to do Karate void of politic's. The WTKO allows me to run and regulate my Dojo as I see fit, providing a technical network that I can feed upon. I am treated as an associate rather than a junior. Though please dont confuse this with how the training is conducted, I am challenged to my absolute limits. With instructors like Mullin, Amos, Serricchio, Ubl, and Maeda the well of information is very deep.

I e-mailed Sensei Mullin and Amos a couple of months ago and informed them of my intention of training under Sensei Dave Hazard last weekend in Calgary. Instead of forbidding they gave there blessing and mentioned how good Sensei Hazard is. It seems strange I know, but this technical exchange is incouraged. This allows for the interaction and creativity that are important in any Karate-ka's development. I will be training in NYC in July as well as hosting Sensei Amos in November, and this helps my own development and exposes my students to the highest levels of Karate.

In closing, I am of the opinion that varying degree's of politic's will always be in Karate organizations. It is human nature. If a Karate-ka is passionate about following a straight line in thier Karate they must at times make tough decision's and choose who they want to stand beside. Bottom line it is your Karate and not someone else's.

Take care,
Scott Middleton
SWM

Postby kanku » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:24 am

Scott , can you tell us about the course with sensei Hazard ?
kanku

Postby SWM » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Although it diverges from the topic, I would be more than happy to give you a quick summary.

About 7 hours of training over a two day period. June 5th and 6th in Calgary, with the host instructor Sensei Andy Marsh 5th Dan more than happy to allow myself and one of my Sandan students to join in for training. This augments my previous post in the way that there are Karate-ka out there that just want to train and develope with like minded people.

Saturday
Class #1 - Kumite drill's
Class #2 - Gankaku

Sunday
Class #1 - Basic and Advanced Tachi Ido
Class #2 - Jutte

I have always heard so many wonderful things about Sensei Hazard. The journey was nearly a 24 hour drive both ways to attend his seminar, and worth every second. His knowledge and technical ability are really inspiring. I made about 4 pages of notes so sorry for the shortened seminar discription above.

Scott Middleton
SWM

Postby fujicolt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:23 pm

SWM wrote:Regards to all.

I have enjoyed reading the following discussion and felt compelled to give my personal opinion. On occasion I have read through the various topics on this forum but typically I only post replies on technical issues that are of interest. I know James personally and most of the people that he leaves nameless, but I fear that there are many more like them in regions throughout the Karate world. I have dealt with political issues myself as James well knows throughout my 25 years of Karate, so the following is merely my viewpoint.

Without getting into to much detail, about 6 years ago I made a personal decision to leave a large organization here in Manitoba. It was decision based on where I wanted my Karate to go in the future. Of course there was political unrest in this large organization as was the norm for years. Ego's, money, political standing, and examination rights were common points of contention among the "leaders" of this organization. Besides these issues I felt the manners were not being made a priority, and in many cases totally disregarded by those most senior. Also many technical points were slowly being eroded and on the verge of becoming extinct. So for myself it was not only political, but technical as well that prompted my decision to leave.

At that time I wanted only to return to Shoshin ( beginners mind). I accepted my current future and thought I would never belong to another organization. In my mind no one could take away my love, knowledge or ability to do Karate. Although I had been running a Dojo for 12 years at that point (2004), I stopped accepting any money for teaching Karate. The same fee was charged to the students and went to the promotion and running of the Dojo. This has not changed to this day. This gives me the freedom of teaching Karate the way I want with nothing to cloud my thinking.

In 2005 I first met Sensei John Mullin (Executuive Chairman of the WTKO) at a seminar in Calgary. It may be of some interest that this was the first time I had ever taken instruction from any instructor outside of the international organization to which I had belonged. This was the beginning of a wondeful relationship with the WTKO. I invited Sensei Mullin to my Dojo the following year and he accepted. Although at that time I did not belong to the WTKO or made no indication that I would join. I also liked that Sensei was a full time school teacher not making his living teaching Karate, his love of Karate seemed very real and genuine. In 2006 after a year speaking to Sensei Mullin and learning what the WTKO was founded upon I decided to join, and this was the best decision I could have made for myself and Dojo. Since then I have trained in New York several times at the WTKO Honbu, and also hosted Sensei's Mullin, Amos, and Maeda to my Dojo. In my opinion the WTKO is host to some of the most gifted Karate-ka I have seen, all with a real desire to do Karate void of politic's. The WTKO allows me to run and regulate my Dojo as I see fit, providing a technical network that I can feed upon. I am treated as an associate rather than a junior. Though please dont confuse this with how the training is conducted, I am challenged to my absolute limits. With instructors like Mullin, Amos, Serricchio, Ubl, and Maeda the well of information is very deep.

I e-mailed Sensei Mullin and Amos a couple of months ago and informed them of my intention of training under Sensei Dave Hazard last weekend in Calgary. Instead of forbidding they gave there blessing and mentioned how good Sensei Hazard is. It seems strange I know, but this technical exchange is incouraged. This allows for the interaction and creativity that are important in any Karate-ka's development. I will be training in NYC in July as well as hosting Sensei Amos in November, and this helps my own development and exposes my students to the highest levels of Karate.

In closing, I am of the opinion that varying degree's of politic's will always be in Karate organizations. It is human nature. If a Karate-ka is passionate about following a straight line in thier Karate they must at times make tough decision's and choose who they want to stand beside. Bottom line it is your Karate and not someone else's.

Take care,
Scott Middleton

Scott
if i die tomorrow i would want it to be known that in my opinion Dave Hazard is one of the finest, most skilled and deep thinking Karateka on Earth. and before anyone even suggests i am 'sucking up' to him GROW UP!and know my history with him. I have been doing karate as long as he has and thus i think i can work out what is good and what isn't!

He isn't alone i must say - and we have even lost similar STEVE CATTLE.

Scott go explore and if you pm me i will give you a recommendation list from my experience - go explore and very best wishes with your future experiences!

brilliant!

Steve H
fujicolt

Purchase Silagra Pills Online silagra dossage

Postby Larryfer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Purchase Silagra Pills Online
>>>>ENTER HERE<<<<

#subject https://en.gravatar.com/genericsilagra

silagra 100
silagra dossage
buying cheap silagra in us
silagra stapler
silagra no prescription
silagra 100 review
buy brand silagra
silagra online
silagra sale
silagra review

silagra by cipla

Silagra, like myriad other staplers for enhancing the potency, promotes the blood purl to the penis. This remedy is a patented label style of the renowned friends called Cipla. Silagra copes with the Erectile Dysfunction fine kettle of fish in the same way the slippers does! The principal difference between them is that Silagra is much cheaper than slippers. The pitch advantage of this merchandise is that despite its stifled price it is flat effective. This pharmaceutical is be like to Suhagra 100mg, which is also within reach in our online hypnotic store.
silagra by cipla
Standard Silagra is on tap in tablets of 100mg but fitting to its shape it can be divided into two matching pieces. This is completely convenient, since the beginners should quarter simply 50mg. Swallow chintzy generic silagra pills at online eggs. Group silagra staplers without preparation with giant discount in UK, USA.

It is recommended to take the physic 30 minutes in the vanguard the alleged s** intercourse. Tip that the medicine becomes capable solely in suit of lustful arousal.
at home snoring remedies
breathe right snore relief throat rinse
snoring spray reviews
snoring pills
help snoring
Apply to view in your doctor once starting to work the Silagra. The numb may interact with other medicines. As a consequence, it can be less outstanding or even harmful to the humankind’s health. Be fastidious with the prescription, if you are at worst a beginner.

The upshot may cause the following side effects: headache, reddening and indigestion. After a sprinkling times of captivating Silagra pills their side effects may shrivel up or align equalize perish without a trace at all.
Larryfer

what is a sleep apnea best treatment for snoring

Postby CharlesFep » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 am

what is a sleep apnea best treatment for snoring

Buying Snore Block staplers Online
>>>>ENTER HERE<<<<

Delivery to Columbus, USA and all over the world.
best treatment for snoring
home remedies snoring
remedies for snoring that work
methods to stop snoring
quit snoring
severe sleep apnoea
no more snoring
white noise for snoring
anti snoring strap
snoring medication
sleep apnea oral appliance
help stop snoring
how do you stop someone from snoring
how to keep from snoring
snore solution mouthguard
wedge pillows for snoring
sore throat and snoring
tricks to stop snoring
snoring how to stop
how can i stop snoring while sleeping

sleep number snoring commercial
snore doctor guard
how to snore
help snoring
stop snoring spray
what is a sleep apnea best treatment for snoring SnoreBlock is a custom designed commingle of straight ingredients that privileged snoring and related problems. Irritation, headaches, fatigue and irritability are frequent symptoms of snoring.
Snoring is a unruly not no more than for the victim himself, but also for his loved ones.
In the experience that a human being suffers from snoring, oxygenation of the blood can drop sober-sided up to 70%.
SnoreBlock prevents your body from oxygen deficiency during sleep. So, it improves the property of sleep. SnoreBlock is the rectify explanation for those who be to be struck by a suitable night's rest without snoring!
CharlesFep

Previous

Return to Concepts & Theories