Street Fight Bassai Kata Bunkai

Here you can discuss Kata related topics.

Moderators: Shaun, EmmaRobins

Street Fight Bassai Kata Bunkai

Postby guyaku zuki » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:43 pm

any thoughts on this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwExOtrxDdU

osu!
guy wilmet
guyaku zuki

Re: Street Fight Bassai Kata Bunkai

Postby Th0mas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:50 am

Dangerous stylised nonsense.

Unrealistic Karate centric street attacks (should be based on habitual acts of violence)- unrealistic distance - unrealistic settings - cr@p bunkai (Bassai Dai contains a whole host of interesting stuff.)
I think it is a vehicle for the shotokan practitioner's ego - even the production values were irritating.

Tom "sit on the fence" Runge
Tom Runge
Th0mas

Postby fujicolt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:58 am

Hello Tom

Hope you well - but (knowing you and your interpretive and inquiring mind I am actually quite 'shall i say - interest spiked'

The thing is Tom there are NO APPLICATIONS = ONLY IMPLICATIONS and therefore i am interested as to why YOU trashed this attempt to give an implication? I am not saying tis correct - because none are - only an interpretation of possibbilities.

but you, unusually seemed to attack it - why?
fujicolt

Postby kanku » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Good video , I think he did rather well and showed his interpretation of the kata in a realistic manner ,well done .
kanku

Postby guyaku zuki » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:34 am

personally I've seen worse at so called "bunkai"seminars here by 5th dan ranking karateka!I personally wouldn't have called the video "street fight bassai kata bunkai" .
I think it was sensei André Bertel who said there are three levels of bunkai:(I hope he doens't mind me quoting from his webblog:
"The three levels of kata analysis/application
The first level of kata application is direct. That is, pretty much the style of 'analysis' demonstrated in ‘Best Karate’ series by Masatoshi Nakayama Sensei (kick, punch, strike and literally block). According to Asai Sensei, this training merely helps beginners to learn the kata sequence, like gohon and kihon ippon kumite for basics. The second level includes relatively street effective techniques. This level, for the most part, often still requires a co-operative partner. The third level is based on application principles. These are the ‘real applications’, which I refer to as 'street tactics' (as they work regardless of the situation). All of these applications are street practical 'finishing techniques', suitable for military/martial CQB (Close Quarter Battle)."

Imop I would say this video is "almost" level 2 :-)
guy wilmet
guyaku zuki

Postby Th0mas » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:39 pm

fujicolt wrote:The thing is Tom there are NO APPLICATIONS = ONLY IMPLICATIONS and therefore i am interested as to why YOU trashed this attempt to give an implication? I am not saying tis correct - because none are - only an interpretation of possibbilities.

but you, unusually seemed to attack it - why?

Watcha Steve,

I think the whole video (and it's "pseudo-real/look at me I'm really str33t feel" just irritated me. (yes cr@p bunkai was probably a little unfair)

It had high production values, but gave a false impression. The IMPLICATION (certainly enhanced by the youtube title) was that the video gave realistic strategies for handling multiple opponents in street encounters.... and yet the APPLICATIONS were dojo-centric and the senario was unrealistic. I don't have a problem with aspects of the gentlemans interpretation of Bassai Dai, just that it wasn't an appropriate setting.

The whole thing smacked of an ego-trip or being badly advised by a marketing/video production company.

Anyway Have a great Christmas

Cheers

Tom
Tom Runge
Th0mas

Postby fujicolt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Smiling broadly because my comments about Tom have bore fruit.

Now i see yer point Tom but take away the 'film setting approach' that i agree is less about educating viewers and more about image - then what do you see

and the very best for Christmas and New Year to you and yours

Steve
fujicolt

Return to Kata