who is / was the best

Swap information on past and present instructors and masters.

Moderators: Shaun, EmmaRobins

Postby jon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 am

kei wrote:IMHO, I would put Nakayama Sensei as someone who is amongst the greatest teachers in karate-do's history. He sent out many instructors around the globe without whom most of us would not have been training. Look at the spread of the JKA, it is his legacy, look at the Karate Tournaments that the World has today, they are based on the format that he started. A lot of it has to do with his style of management of course, but even his teaching was amazing. Most of today's greats in the Shotokan ryu-ha were graduates of the Instructor course started by him.

Nakayama Sensei of course deserves a ton of credit for what he accomplished. As for his abilities as an instructor, just like with any instructor, it depends on the student.

There are different teaching styles and different learning styles. Furthermore, one student may wish to learn more about self-defense, another more about kata application, another wants to just work out really hard. So who is the best instructor for these three people? I would say that most likely it is three different instructors; not just one.
Jon Keeling
Silicon Valley Shotokan Karate (http://www.jkasv.com)
Hoitsugan Seminars & Dojo (http://www.hoitsugan.com)
jon

Postby jon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:45 am

Kataman wrote:Does Sensei Ubl come over to the UK very often to teach?

He was teaching there late last year teaching to a sold-out crowd.

I had him at my dojo http://www.jkasv.com to teach this weekend.

I believe he will be in Norway or Iceland in February.

And then of course he will be one of the instructors at the Hoitsugan Seminars here in northern California in March:
http://www.hoitsugan.com/hoitsuganseminars3.html

For those wondering if he is the best instructor for him/her, please try to attend one of his seminars.

As for me, I have trained with the majority of the most highly-regarded Shotokan instructors on the planet and I would put Ubl Sensei among the top 5 of all-time for me, personally.
Jon Keeling
jon

Postby magicmitts » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 am

Well, if you're in the UK you should try to attend a Steve 'Fujicolt' Hyland session! Whatever you might think of his posts here, IMHO his coaching is up there with the best of them - to help one develop efficiency of movement (for example), but especially to develop the strong mental attitude needed for effective karate.
Paddy Morrison
magicmitts

Postby kei » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 am

jon wrote:Nakayama Sensei of course deserves a ton of credit for what he accomplished. As for his abilities as an instructor, just like with any instructor, it depends on the student.

Dont know what you mean exactly, whether how the student picks up whatever is being taught or whether the teaching should suit the student.
I know this - I go to an instructor to learn from him/her and not the other way around.

There are different teaching styles and different learning styles. Furthermore, one student may wish to learn more about self-defense, another more about kata application, another wants to just work out really hard. So who is the best instructor for these three people? I would say that most likely it is three different instructors; not just one.

Sure, every teacher is ultimately a human being with all the baggage that goes with it. Teaching styles therefore are bound to differ- You sift, take what is good, reject the bad and carry on. A good teacher IMHO though will ensure that while you learn the bunkai, you also understand the oyo. He/she will stress that in order to be able to apply power, you need to have strength and maybe endurance and therefore make you understand the need to have a good work out.
Just my thoughts
Anand
Feelings often show the way
kei

Postby jon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:24 am

kei wrote:
jon wrote:Nakayama Sensei of course deserves a ton of credit for what he accomplished. As for his abilities as an instructor, just like with any instructor, it depends on the student.

Dont know what you mean exactly, whether how the student picks up whatever is being taught or whether the teaching should suit the student.

I am afraid I do not know exactly what you mean, either... What I meant is that an instrutor's value changes depending on the student. For example, an instructor one student considers fantastic because of his kumite demonstration skills may not be considered nearly as valuable to another student as another instructor who teaches deeper levels of kata application concepts. Not only is subject matter important, but so is matching teaching and learning styles.

I know this - I go to an instructor to learn from him/her and not the other way around.

Again I am afraid I do not know what you mean here... Do you mean that you do not think an instructor has anything to learn from his/her students? That the instructor should not have to be perceptive of his/her students' favored learning styles?

Sure, every teacher is ultimately a human being with all the baggage that goes with it. Teaching styles therefore are bound to differ- You sift, take what is good, reject the bad and carry on. A good teacher IMHO though will ensure that while you learn the bunkai, you also understand the oyo. He/she will stress that in order to be able to apply power, you need to have strength and maybe endurance and therefore make you understand the need to have a good work out.
Just my thoughts
Anand

Yes, a good instructor should be able to help guide students in many ways, both in terms of subject matter and also teaching style (these are not the same thing at all). In this I believe we are in complete agreement. But no matter how great or terrible a given instructor may be considered by the masses, the value of that instructor to an individual may not mirror everyone else's perception.
Jon Keeling
jon

Postby simon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:21 pm

I agree a good instructor is some one who expresses passion, understands their body and knows how to communicate good karate, and demostarte a good satndard and correct attitude. Through my experince which as all we can go on Enoeda sensei had a strong atitue, ASndy sheerry inspired dymanic,explosive kime and develence of technique and Brennan flexability and acurancy. But Dot Naylor I feel taught me a hell of alot through her attitude and aproaches, Chrlies and Jane, peopel like myself and Mick Powell who have studied other arts over th epast near 30 years have always strived to maintain our standards and give as much to our students on everly level as we can. I know, waiting for a tongue lashing
Simon Williams
simon

Postby Bern » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:23 pm

magicmitts wrote:Well, if you're in the UK you should try to attend a Steve 'Fujicolt' Hyland session! Whatever you might think of his posts here, IMHO his coaching is up there with the best of them - to help one develop efficiency of movement (for example), but especially to develop the strong mental attitude needed for effective karate.

I can second that, having trained with Steve on quite a few occassions over the years besides having a good workout he always flexed your mental muscles with his indepth knowledge, you always come away from his classes with a mind provoking insight.....anyone out there who ever wonders about who this Fujicolt thinks he is, well he knows his stuff and he can do it
Bernard Rose
Wellington Karate Club
Wirral - Merseyside
Instructor - FSK
Bern

Postby chinti » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Nakayama Sensei
Enoeda Sensei
Master Sensei Ueki
Sensei Okamoto
Sensei Osaka
Sensei Imamura
JIM WOOD SENSEI
John Hazel SENSEI

THERE YA GO
chinti

Postby kanku » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 pm

thin white duke wrote:[quote="
As for naive and unrealisic how about this quote: "Dave Hazard is the best British karate instructor around".
Just for the record I'm not having a go at DH who I don't know, just this ludicrous statement.

I think you just just scored an own goal here , if you have never trained with him then how do you know how good he is and how do you know if he is not the best British instructor ?!!

I must say I found your comment about your sensei being better than Kanazawa sensei strange and naive ,but I respect your opinion and your affection and loyalty for your sensei .
kanku

Postby FA » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Not all , but a great number of persons noted in this thread as being outstanding instructors walked through the doors at 1440 Olympic Blvd. Los Angeles CA. - One leg at a time to learn from Sensei Nishiyama.

In the early 80's it would not be uncommon to find, Nakayama and Nishiyama chatting over karate matters and laughing !

Central Dojo is were the " Teachers came to Learn " .

So my pick would be Sensei Nishiyama for his ability to open and fill the world with great instructors we have today.

Frank A
FA

Postby fujicolt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:04 am

FA wrote:Not all , but a great number of persons noted in this thread as being outstanding instructors walked through the doors at 1440 Olympic Blvd. Los Angeles CA. - One leg at a time to learn from Sensei Nishiyama.

In the early 80's it would not be uncommon to find, Nakayama and Nishiyama chatting over karate matters and laughing !

Central Dojo is were the " Teachers came to Learn " .

So my pick would be Sensei Nishiyama for his ability to open and fill the world with great instructors we have today.

Frank A

please expalin and give facts to show how your claims are valid

thanks
fujicolt

Postby dodwatt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:27 am

Going with the original posting, "who is / was the best", i take it "instructor", well my interpretation of that question is, the person you have learnt the most from, and i agree with Paddy and Bern, i have trained with Steve a few times and he really knows his stuff, one of the good guys.
dodwatt

Buy Silagra Medicine Online silagra rx

Postby Larryfer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Order Silagra Meds Online
>>>>ENTER HERE<<<<

#subject https://en.gravatar.com/genericsilagra

silagra 100 uk
buy silagra without prescription
silagra rx
silagra dossage
silagra sale
silagra vs slippers
silagra uk
silagra reviews
silagra review
silagra 100 review

silagra 100mg

Silagra, like many other staplers in behalf of enhancing the potency, promotes the blood gush to the penis. This medication is a patented brand term of the famous followers called Cipla. Silagra copes with the Erectile Dysfunction problem in the unvaried speed the slippers does! The principal difference between them is that Silagra is much cheaper than slippers. The tone profit of this output is that despite its stifled amount it is still effective. This nostrum is equivalent to Suhagra 100mg, which is also available in our online treat store.
silagra sale
Standard Silagra is at one's fingertips in tablets of 100mg but due to its image it can be divided into two uniform pieces. This is very handy, since the beginners should extract only 50mg. Swallow chintzy generic silagra pills at online eggs. Group silagra staplers without preparation with prodigious detract from in UK, USA.

It is recommended to take the medicine 30 minutes before the suspected s** intercourse. Tip that the stapler becomes capable only in action of sexual arousal.
nose clips for snoring
homeopathic remedies for snoring
best snoring mouth guard
anti snoring devices cvs
anti snore strips
Ask information in your doctor once starting to use the Silagra. The stapler may interact with other medicines. As a result, it can be less outstanding or uniform harmful to the man’s health. Be conscientious with the prescription, if you are simply a beginner.

The commodity may make the following side effects: headache, reddening and indigestion. After a sprinkling times of attractive Silagra pills their side effects may taper off or unvaried disappear at all.
Larryfer

Previous

Return to Shotokan Instructors